Spent about four hours today at the new spot I visited yesterday (see that post here). Didn't come away with as much, and mostly the same from yesterday. I didn't take many pictures, but there were more Terataspis grandis pieces to be had, of which I took a good many. It certainly isn't easy to find the right rock, and even less easy to break them. Hands on learning was also had as a sharp edge of chert went right through my glove and left a deep bleeding gash in my finger. Now I know from direct experience why chert was the material of choice among prehistoric hunters!
So, just one highlight:
Just slightly covered in matrix, and with the impression, the hypostome of a Terataspis. I'll need to do some light repair as two pieces broke off while trying to extract it from a much larger rock. That's what glue is for! It's not very large and impressive for the species -- about the size of a thumbprint; the specimen at the ROM is about 7 cm wide.
I have digital versions of this one, and it is free to download online, too. However, there is something to be said about having a physical copy. It wasn't cheap, but nowhere near for as much as I've seen these go for online. This is the classic green trilobite bible, and in pretty good shape.
It is supposed to rain for the next two days (it is still spring, after all), so any fossil activity will likely be lab prep stuff. Saturday is looking like a sunny stunner, so perhaps another outing. It's been 66 days since my season started, of which I've spent 22 out in the field. In that time I've bagged representatives of 15 trilobites, with at least one undescribed species and a boatload of Terataspis parts.